Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chewy Peanut Butter & Honey Oatmeal Squares

WOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm proud to say that this is the first GOOD recipe that I've invented all on my own!  My husband really likes it too, so that really has to mean something...hehe.
It's exciting because I'm not very good in the kitchen...even when I follow a recipe to the letter sometimes, a flop occurs in the end product.

To be honest, what sort of inspired this adventure were these rice crispie squares, but mine's much healthier! :)

Anyway, what's good about this sweet treat is that I think it can be classified as a healthy delight. :D  I was wanting to come up with a sweet snack that's actually good for you, and I believe this one is - it contains no sugar, no processed foods and lots of nutrition and fibre.  Since this was an experiment, I made a tiny portion, so next time I'll tripple the ingredients and see if that works out, then I'll amend this recipe.  Here goes:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup organic sugar-free peanut butter
1/4 cup uncooked oats
1 tbs sunflower seeds
1 tbs sesame seeds
1 tbs molasses bran
1 tbs ground flax seeds
1 tbs digestive bran
1/2 tsp sweet molasses (see also blackstrap molasses)
  • warm up the honey & peanut butter on the stove on low heat and mix to combine (don't "cook" it or heat it up unnecessarily long), remove from heat, mix in molasses
  • add all other ingredients and mix well - it's quite a stiff mix!
  • place in a greased glass dish and press down to even out the top.  I wet a spoon with a couple drops of water and used that to press down the mixture - it's quite sticky
  • set in fridge for at least an hour, cut into squares and munch!
The tiny portion
 
Mmmmm - chewy (not SO sticky actually) peanut butter and honey yumminess. :D  Needless to say that it's already finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment