Friday, March 16, 2012

Banana Oat Carrot Muffins

I've completely adapted some "oat raisin banana bread" recipe that I found online, and came up with this one, which is not only vegan, but also much healthier because I've cut out any dairy, white flour and sugar.  They're quite moist inside, almost as if they're not baked totally through, but they're not raw.  Muffins freeze well and are still soft and moist once defrosted, so I think these muffins are best frozen if you're not going to eat them all the day you make them, because their moistness may cause them to go "off" sooner than drier muffins.

My husband and I think these turned out yummy. :)  I decided to add carrot to this one because I'm trying to find more ways of using the left over carrot "pulp" that I get after juicing carrots - I hate throwing it away...

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbs ground flax seed mixed with 2 tbs water
3/4 cup rice milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (you can use buckwheat if you want it gluten-free...I didn't have any on hand)
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup organic agave nectar
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrot (but of course I used left over carrot pulp)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp powdered himalayan salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
handful raisins
1/3 cup molasses bran (optional)
  • Add mashed bananas in a large bowl.  Stir in flax seed mixture, rice milk, agave, vanilla & carrot.
  • In another bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oats, cinnamon & bran.
  • Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir well until combined.  Stir in raisins.
  • Divide mixture among prepared muffin tins.  Bake at 400 degrees F / 200 degrees C for about 18-20 minutes.  Muffins are done when tester stick comes out mostly dry.
The bran is optional, I added it for some extra fibre.
 They're nice for breakfast when you're in a hurry or on the run - well, that's what we usually use them for. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment