Monday, March 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Rice Crispie Squares

Obviously this isn't a healthy treat, but it's healthier than the usual rice crispie squares because there's no white sugar in it!  No marshmallows are used, which also means that it's vegan. :)

These were so tasty, but they tended to fall apart quite easily (especially once they started warming up once taken out of the fridge)...not sure why...maybe it has something to do with the fact that when I was watching the recipe show on tv, she didn't let us know how much peanut butter to put in!  So I had to take a guess from what I saw how much she added.  Either way, they turned out pretty good!

I also used organic sugar-free peanut butter which I think is a good move in making this recipe just a tad better for you.

6 cups rice crispies
1/2 cup honey (the poury kind)
1/2 cup peanut butter (my guess)
2/3 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped (she used dried cherries but this is what I used)
  • Add honey & peanut butter to a pot on the stove and warm them up (just need to warm it up slightly so that they become soft and mix together, no cooking needed).  Stir to combine.
  • Add rice crispies and mix until rice crispies are all coated with honey mixture.
  • Add cranberries and stir to combine.
  • Place into greased baking or glass dish and press down to even out the top.  The layer should be about 1 inch thick (I wouldn't go thinner otherwise I think they'll break apart very easily).
  • Set in fridge for about 1 hour.
And that's it!  This was so easy and really quick to make...JUST my kinda recipe... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment