- good source of protein, which also helps increase energy levels - compared to meat, blackstrap molasses provides more iron for less calories, and is totally fat free
- there are many testimonies from those who say that blackstrap molasses is a better than taking iron supplements, since iron supplements tend to cause constipation and stomach problems
- good source of calcium
- also a good source of copper, manganese, potassium, magnesium, selenium and Vitamin B6
- it's a healthier option for sweetening foods since it has a lot more nutritional value than sugar (which contains nothing but sugary carbs)
- it's low GI, so is safe to use with most blood sugar level issues
Blackstrap has a very distinctive flavour - some people easily take to it, but those who have tastebuds that have been conditioned for years by sugar and other rubbish artificial sweeteners may find it lacking in sweetness and will have to acquire the taste over time. But once you have begun the transition from unhealthy processed and artificial "tasty" food to healthier real foods, you'll wonder how you could have eaten so much junk food in the first place! Trust me. :) Example, after only 1 month of cutting out sodas completely, and consciously making the decision to drink almost only water, I find it hard now to drink more than a few sips of soda at a time - it's just not enjoyable anymore.